ads

Chapter 171 Holy City of Elhagan




    What is this number of monsters...This is beyond the Labyrinth Saturation... As we approach Elhagan, the number of monsters becomes apparent.




 We are from the southwest of Elhagan, and there are 1000 goblins at the west and south city gates of Elhagan, but the problem lies in the northeast. All my vision was filled with goblins...




 When we finally caught up with Clarisse, Ellie, and Dominique, Dominique said




“I’m sorry! Marth! I went too far ahead! I can't clear the way, so please take the lead!"




 Dominique takes over driving the carriage while saying to me with a frustrated look. I guess he wanted to do something on his own no matter what... I understand how he feels, and the good thing about Dominique is that he honestly admits that he's lacking in ability...




 If Clarisse and Ellie seriously wanted to open up a path, they would have been able to break through easily... but I think they stepped on the brakes for Dominique's sake.




"Everyone! Enter Elhagan from the west side of the city bridge! I'm heading west while defeating the enemies on the south side as much as possible! Behind me, Karen, Misha, Alice, Minerva, and Sophia! Two carriages behind them! And Clarisse and Ellie form the tail end!"




 Quickly forming a formation, we advanced north from the southwest of Elhagan.


    

    At the same time, we cast spells at the group of monsters to the east.



"Karen! Unleash your huge magic on the monsters on the east side!"




 As if Karen was waiting for me when I said that




"Flare Bomb!"




 She raised both hands and shouted loudly.




 Before I knew it, Karen had mastered the Flare Bomb used by Rekka. If you shoot a ridiculously large fireball at the center of the goblins on the south side of Elhagan, the fireball will explode the moment it hits, and the surrounding goblins will burn up and turn into magic stones.




 The flames after the explosion of the flare bomb were also quite impressive.




“Marth! I can't do too many in a row!"




 As Karen says, she fires the next Flare Bomb at the goblins. I also shoot a tornado toward the north side direction and scatter the goblins that get in the way.




 There are too many of them, and I miss some goblins, but Clarisse and the others behind me kill the goblins that I missed.




 Finally, we reached the location of the west bridge, and to open the gate, Dominique and Baron were driving the two carriages and Sofia and Alice were sent ahead to the gate, while the rest of us confronted the goblins on the bridge.




 Perhaps the story of Dominique's group arrival got across quickly, and the west city gate opened, so I fired a tornado at the entrance of the bridge to prevent the goblins from entering, and finally arrived at the holy city of Elhagan.




 Inside the city, it was quite chaotic. However, it was not in a panic.




 Adventurers and knights are discussing strategies in various places. In other places, residents put out fires in buildings and carry injured people.




"Marth! Come over here!"




 Dominique will lead the way and guide us. We arrive at a massive building that looks like a cathedral.




"Here is the Pope. For now, let's ask about the quest."




 I initially thought it might be better to subjugate the monsters in the north and east of the city first, but I realized that would be impossible to subjugate that amount of monsters in a day or two. I trust Dominique's judgment that we can endure this situation, so I decide to follow him.




 Upon entering the cathedral, I got a completely different impression from the outside. It is quiet. On the contrary, it's eerie that it's so quiet even though it's being attacked by monsters.




"What is your business?"




 At the entrance of the cathedral, a woman dressed in ceremonial robes called out to Dominique.




“We came to Elhagan after receiving a quest from the Allied Listers. We would like to meet the requester, His Holiness, the Pope."




 A woman in a ceremonial robes looks at us




"Understood. I will relay your request to His Holiness. Please follow me."




 As we move through the spacious cathedral, in this quiet space, there was only one room where yelling can be heard. We are led to that room, and upon entering, we see a man in splendid ceremonial attire angrily shouting at an adventurer-like man.




"That's why I've said it many times! Never drop the bridge! Stop the monsters here! What if we drop the bridge and the monsters go to a different city!?"




 The man in ceremonial attire is shouting, and the adventurer-like man retorts strongly




"At this rate, Ellhagan will fall! Let's drop the bridge, even if it's just until we're ready!"




 He say that quite strongly. Both of them seem quite heated and haven't noticed our presence.




"Your Holiness! I have returned after a long time. Today, we have returned,"




 Dominique greets with a simple bow. He didn't go down on one knee...? The man in splendid ceremonial attire then asks Dominique with a natural curiosity 




"Dominique! Welcome back!... Hmm? How did you get here? The outside was overflowing with monsters, wasn't it?"




 The Pope orders the adventurer-like man when he throws a natural question at Dominique.




"Hissu! Talk again tomorrow! Back off today!"




 When the man named Hissu reluctantly leaves, Dominique answers the pope's question earlier.




"We came from the west, where there were fewer monsters. This is Marth, the clan master of [Akatsuki] that I belong. He's the same age as me and the youngest B-rank adventurer in history."




 Dominique introduced me, when I was about to get down on one knee to say hello, Dominique put his hand on my shoulder and shook his head. It seems he meant that I shouldn't kneel.




“Pleased to meet you, Your Holiness. My name is Marth Bryant. I have accepted the quest, but it seems that the situation has changed considerably since we accepted it. If you could kindly explain the current circumstances, we would appreciate it,"




 I introduced myself and the pope said




"What! You brought a B-rank adventurer! That's wonderful! If Marus is a B-rank adventurer from the Lister Alliance, that means he is the strongest!"




 Wait, aren't there any other B-rank adventurers around? Dominique clarifies




"Marth. It's an embarrassing story, but the level of the adventurers in the Holy Kingdom of Diadora is a bit low... there are some B-rank adventurers who aren't that strong. The guy named Hissu from earlier is also a B-rank adventurer, but he's probably not as strong as me...no, he's weaker than me."




 He explains with a somewhat downcast expression.




"I see... it's the same everywhere. In the Barlux Kingdom, in the past, the ability of a C-rank adventurer is now active as a B-rank adventurer... I'm an adventurer in the Kingdom of Barlux, so I feel like I betrayed the pope's expectations..."




 The pope who was listening to us




"Oh... is Marth from the Barlux Kingdom... and based on your equipment... you're a swordsman..."




 It seems like my words and equipment have disappointed him. Well, it's natural to wish for a mage who can wipe out all the monsters at once with area magic. Then, from behind me




“Don’t worry. I am Karen Lionel. the second daughter of the Freswald Duke family from the Allied Lister Union, I am a Magician. Besides, Marth is called the Sword Saint, but he's genuinely strong, so you can rest assured."




 When Karen emphasizes the second daughter,




"Oh! The first second daughter of the prestigious Duke of Freswald in hundreds of years! I can definitely expect this!"




 The Pope's tension rose after hearing Karen's story.




 Could it be that the Freswald family is under some kind of curse? Only the eldest son and eldest daughter are born...




"Then let's answer Marth's question earlier. There weren't that many monsters until about a month ago when I requested the quest.The increase in numbers started about two weeks ago. The interception outside the city has gradually become tougher, and we've been besieged here in Elhagan for a week.


Even though this city is the one that has been fortified in the Diadora Holy Kingdom. Compared to the fortified city of Isaac, there is a world of difference between heaven and earth... but I would really like you to wipe out all the monsters, but as expected, that would be impossible, so I would like you to secure the safety of the west or south gates so that we can receive reinforcements and supplies from the Lister Allied."




 That's pretty much the expected answer.




"Understood. We will subjugate the monsters while ensuring the safety of the west and south gates. It's already late today, so I'll start tomorrow. Also, would it be okay to proceed with repairs and improvements to the city, gates, and city walls?"




 The Pope nodded and we left the Pope's room. When we left the pope's room, the man called Hissu, who was talking to the pope earlier, was waiting in front of the room... I have a feeling that it's going to be troublesome.




"Hey! Dominique! I need to talk to you!"




 Hissu yelled at Dominique.




"What is it? I'm busy, so please keep it short."




 Dominique responds calmly




"You said earlier that I'm weaker than you, right?"




 Did he hear Dominique's voice from outside the room? What hell ears...




"... Ah. I'm sorry, but I simply stated the truth."




 Dominique's words made Hissu furious.




"Lets make it clear right here and now which one is the real Sword Saint! Draw out your sword! Dominique!"




 When Hissu said that and pulled out his sword, Dominique




"Hissu...I'm sorry...I no longer call myself a sword saint...I don't even have the right to call myself that. If Hissu leaves the Holy Kingdom of Diadora, you'll know."




 Hissu was so surprised by Dominique's words. And Dominique continues his words.




"Hissu... It's already late today, so let's talk another time. See you later."




 Dominique said so and left, Hissu put the sword back into its scabbard in a daze. Hissu was unexpectedly savvy.




 After leaving the cathedral, we were divided into two groups: a group looking for an inn and a group looking at the north and east gates of the city.




 [Genesis] is looking for an inn, and we [Reimei] are looking at the north and east gates. Since we came in from the west side, I didn't know what the north and the east sides were like, but when I actually got there, I saw a lot of damage.




 There are barricades and problems occurring everywhere, with arrows sticking out on the streets. Perhaps due to the low city walls, arrows and magic attacks are flying in... We definitely need to raise the city walls.




 As we head towards the north gate, I ask Karen




"Hey, Karen, can I ask you something? The Pope was surprised by your words, that you are the first second daughter of the Duke of Freswald, but what does that mean?"




"Oh? Didn't Marth know about the child of the Freswald family? Then I'll tell you later. I can already see the north gate."




 Karen replied with a little sadness.






If you like my work please support me Ko-fi it will give me more motivation



Prev    Toc    Next

Comments

ads